Z. Madison

For when you're relaxing at home or killing company time - Z. Madison's here for you.

1.26.2006

Do Not Fuck With Oprah


I haven't read A Million Little Pieces by James Frey. I should state that upfront. But, I feel bad for the guy. Here is, undoubtedly, a great story. It's been hailed as a piece of literature that has resonated with all types of people trying to overcome an obstacle in their lives. It's based on his beating the addiction to alcohol and crack; his voyages through rehab and sobriety.

Now, I don't know about you, but there's some black spots through my college years and other debaucherous evenings that are a bit hazy. And that's just alcohol.

This man did CRACK.

Of course not everything that happened is going to be ver baitum in his book. Isn't the essence of his story what's important? Flipping through it, I did find the style with which he wrote to be refreshing - it appeared to be a constant stream of thought, like he was telling you a story.

But, then again, I am not all powerful Oprah. O doesn't like to made a fool of. And man, was she pissed at Frey today.

She blasted his character and made him call himself a "LIAR" at least 10 times. Every time he tried to explain that he embellished in parts, she stopped him and deadpanned, "NO - you LIED - SAY IT!". O was taking no shit. The poor guy looked like he wished he'd he'd be calling a crack dealer for a fix as soon as the show wrapped. I won't even go into describing the toolbags who rained their superiority complexes in a shit storm gleefully arranged by O herself.

Now readers, I ask you - Was it an inspirational book? Was it meant to be taken as 100% truth? Should the poor guy be run out of town like a dog with its tail between its legs? Should O have cut him a little bit more of a break?

1 Comments:

At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know. But watching the show (or at least parts of it), I couldn't help but wince everytime O gave him the verbal beat down. What irked me most however, was that he didn't even try to defend himself. He even seemed indifferent to most of the comments that she was making and didn't try to stand up for the "reason" that he included the falsehoods in his memoir.
His "publicist" didn't help much either.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home