Z. Madison

For when you're relaxing at home or killing company time - Z. Madison's here for you.

8.21.2006

File Under : I'm NOT A Criminal!


As mentioned, the BF was in Vegas this weekend and that meant that I could get my shop on in peace. I knew I wanted it to be in Brooklyn and I knew the couple of places I wanted to hit up.

I headed straight to Bird, a semi-new boutique I've been meaning to check out. They had a 75% sale going on and the goods looked to be of the kind I'd like but would need a severe discount for. After perusing the on-average $300+ sweaters, jeans and coats, I was moving on. I'd spent about 20 minutes total looking though the racks and checking out the merch both on the new fall arrival and sale racks, all the while hearing their damn security thing go off and go-lucky employees jovially saying, "Oh, don't worry about it" to the customers shocked by the beep. Finding nothing that suited my fancy, I departed hearing, once again, the incessant beep.

I sauntered about half way up the block when I heard "Excuse me! EXCUSE ME!" from behind. Lost in lala land, it took me a moment to realize she was speaking to me. Literally, this chick was running as fast as her high end footwear would carry her.

All apologetic yet at the same time with a fierceness, she asked to see the contents of my bag explaining "The security system went off when you left."

Dumbfounded and speechless, I opened my tote to show the various sections of the Times I hadn't yet finished, lip gloss and other odds and ends and was mildly embarrassed to see the crumpled up tin foil evidence of a bagel I'd had earlier in the morning and had tossed the wrapper inside, in an effort to not litter.

To her credit, she seemed embarrassed. To my credit, here she was trying to discredit me in front of the entire block, who were now staring. I was mortified. I could barely look at her, just nodded and raised an eyebrow in "You see?" and made my way up the block in utter shame.

To regain my dignity, I immediately proceeded to competitor Dear Fieldbinder and dropped about a quarter of my rent on two shirts and picked up a pair of stacked wood heel peek-a-boo pumps at nearby Something Else boutique.

What else was a girl to do?

1 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Blogger Matt Brand said...

why didnt you TELL me your BF was away? jeeze!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home