Z. Madison

For when you're relaxing at home or killing company time - Z. Madison's here for you.

6.03.2006

Run, Run, RUN To Go See This Movie


Dear Readers, on this rainy afternoon, I was going stir crazy and decided my fix would be to venture into "town" (Cobble Hill) to my little local theater. Armed with sour dough pretzels and a Jasmine Tea's Tea, I waited in line under my umbrella for a 5:30 show.

The Break Up was on my agenda, but god bless my Indy-loving theater, Cobble Hill Cinemas had a few tickets left for An Inconvenient Truth, that "Al Gore Documentary" that got all the buzz at Cannes.

It was riveting, beautiful, disturbing, witty, heart wrenching and compelling. I had also forgotten how much I like Al Gore. The whole movie centered on him and his apple ibook presentation regarding Global Warming. Al was funny, truthful, unabashedly personal and my god, the intellect...made me nostalgic for what never was.

The 5:30 show was packed. The audience was diverse. Every single one of us stayed through the credits (geniusly entertwined with calls to action) until the end when half the audience stood and applauded.

It's difficult to say why this 94 minute documentary of Gore's powerpoint presentation was so compelling. Maybe it was the subject matter. Maybe it was the raw sincerity and glimpse into the true personality of Al Gore himself that was so moving. The direction and incredible camera work deserves a nod as well.

Do yourself a favor and see this movie. You will not be disappointed.

www.rottontomatoes.com gives it an 88% fresh rating:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/inconvenient_truth/

And Al - Please reconsider and get back into the game!

8 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You love Gore? oh wait, you used the word like, but you also used words like.. funny and truthful? I mean come on here we are talking about a politician. Plus, Gore couldn't get Clinton to buy into this 'idea' he has about the environment. Maybe that is the difference. Clinton was a moderate and Gore is a tree huggin liberal. I have to disagree with you about this movie.

 
At 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great article to read. Some good questions are raised. 1) Gore isn't a scientist 2) Why no scientific debate on this topic? 3) Why are prominent scientists who speak out being criticized by enviromentalists?

The truth of the matter is most wacked out enviromentalists are not scientists. Lets here from the Scientists... here is one http://www.denverpost.com/harsanyi/ci_3899807

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Z. Madison said...

Troy - have you seen the movie?

 
At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NO

I've read alot of what the critics are saying and being that Bill Clinton was against what Gore is saying I can't fathom trying to watch this.

I'll admit things are bad with Bush but I can't imagine it with Gore or Kerry. That is very scarey.

I like John Edwards (ok, im way off topic)

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Z. Madison said...

Troy, Troy, Troy...I expected more from you.

How can you not believe that we've done serious damage against the environment in the past 20-30 years? I alone put a hole in the ozone with my AquaNet addiction back in the late 80s.

Please reconsider, have a glass of wine/smoke a joint/do what you've gotta do to calm down and go see this movie.

I bet you one www.Observationist.com article praising the Red Sox that you'll come out of the theater thinking differently about Al Gore and his stance on the environment.

xoxo - Z.

 
At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Z - I'll take you up on the offer. Well I really can't make the bet because I want to see the film. I think the environment needs to be saved and in my opinion I'd rather have a tree huging Al Gore in the White House rather than a war happy Bush.

Troy - next time you are in town come over and we'll watch it together. I'll buy the nice bottle of wine Z suggested and we'll have a nice little party. We'll make an event out of it.

 
At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more thing. I never really saw much in Al Gore's personality. Perhaps if he had shown me a little bit of it in 2000 I wouldn't have voted for the purd up there right now. I'm really interested in seeing the documentary now.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Z. Madison said...

Jeremy - agreed re: personality. That's why I was so impressed by him in this. You finally saw him for who he is.

"Purd" is too kind a word...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home